Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Unselfishness Redefined

Hello all.  Today I am moved to blog about a topic I feel near and dear to.  That of choosing whether or not to have children, and the labels associated with it.

"That couple doesn't want to have children, that is so selfish."

We have all heard that line before, probably more than once, and to be honest I am of two minds about it.  It actually sparked me into action and I did a little online research on the topic of not having children.  I found these interesting articles:

*  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/living-single/201206/defensive-about-not-having-children-philosopher-says-we-have-it-all-wrong


*  I cannot think of any selfless reason to have a child, if the question refers to a process of reasoning, rather than a biological drive to reproduce, which I assume it does. I used to think that it would help the human race, if a high IQ was possibly passed on. But that is hardly selfless, since ego would be involved, and a desire to have some kind of immortality. This is a desire that is not necessarily going to be fulfilled. What if the child does not reproduce? Why should they, just for a parent's ego to feel it will continue? It would be irrational and wrong to expect grandchildren as a right. So that reason for having a child did not stand up to close scrutiny and I no longer believe it. If, however, we look at 'irrational' motivations for having children, they can be selfless. There is a definite biological drive that seems to go against all rationality, when the pain and expense of childbearing is taken into account. Then there is the love that the child engenders - which is a selfless feeling, where another being's needs become far more important than your own. So there is a selfless element, but it is not a 'reason' in the sense of coming from a process of rational thought. – Mary Hawkes 2 years ago from this discussion:  https://www.knowhowcompany.com/en/question/15067/Give-one-selfless-reason-to-have-a-child

Again, I am of two minds on the topic of having children myself.  On one side, perhaps the more socially 'acceptable' side (like I care! lol), I have felt what it is like to be part of a large family, to be included in that merriment, and honestly it is pretty awesome.  There is something magnificent about brothers, sisters, parents, and grandparents gathered 'round the table celebrating holiday events or just having a normal dinner together every other weekend.  It seems something is always happening, never a dull moment.  The love you experience just being a part of this kind of time together, being a part of something larger than yourself...a clan you are part of...well it is simply wonderful.

I also had the time a very short while ago when I thought I might be pregnant.  For the first time in my life I actually felt ready.  Now I have never been a baby person...have never really thought they were cute.  Never really wanted to hold one.  I've always been much more of an animal person.  But for a short while the idea that I could actually be a mother...well it pleasantly shocked me to the core.  I was genuinely excited, and genuinely a little let down when I found out it wasn't true.  I felt I enjoyed that brief nurturing feeling that I didn't know I had.  For the first time in my life I no longer cared much about what becoming pregnant might mean for my physique.  I realized that my misgivings about pregnancy in the past, which I had attributed to not wanting to become less attractive, had actually been more related to my situation.  My situation was that of living with a person who pretty much played video games all day and sat in cat litter on the floor with a mounting pile of emptied 2 liter bottles of Mountain Dew next to him.  Who never offered to help clean anything and lived on Lucky Charms cereal.  Someone who I couldn't imagine would be of any help to me in parenting as he was more of a roommate than a partner in any sense.  A quote comes to mind, actually, "It is better to be alone than with someone who makes you feel alone."  I felt very alone at that time in my life, and the idea of going out of my way to have a child in that situation and raising it all 'alone' seemed outright unappealing.

But things felt very different to me recently as my situation is completely different now and I have a loving partner who would make an excellent dad.  I was actually very excited at the prospect of becoming a parent, and a little let down when it was not to be.  But the let down was more of an "awwww" feeling than an outright "noooo!"  This is because I have other things in my life that are pretty important to me too.  We both do.

For instance, my husband and I would love to travel as much as possible.  And my child in life is essentially art.  Call it a brain child, if you will.  Lonely?  Hardly.  We have wonderful families and friends to hang out with whenever we want to.  And honestly, we are pretty content with our lives.  We work, play, have balance and essentially nirvana in a nutshell...contentment with our lives and life choices, goals we are working toward, love for each other and the world in general.  Speaking of the world in general I will mention here that one argument for not having children is the environmental footprint increasing factor.  Now I know many people out there don't believe there is actually anything affected by the population's strain on the food and water supplies.  That is fine.  I am all for people believing whatever they want.  But just know that many other people believe that our wars 50 years in the future will be over water, not oil.  A larger family uses more of the Earth's resources, including food and water.  Not to mention the larger amount of trash produced, and let's face it not everything is recyclable just yet, and many people choose not to recycle the things they can actually recycle.  Just saying.  Having perhaps just one child or perhaps none from that standpoint seems less selfish than having many.

There is also the peace of mind of not having to worry about someone's needs constantly who is dependent upon you.  Not everyone is cut out to be a parent.  Sometimes I think it is less selfish to take your own stress handling capabilities into account.  To really know yourself and your limitations, and to honor that person and what might honestly be a lot for them to handle.  Personally I find owning cats trying enough.  One of them is pretty old and meows constantly for food, even when he has just been fed.  I find I spend a good portion of each day caring for him.  In addition to not having to worry about meeting a young human's often demanding needs, there is less financial strain, and frankly less chance of messing someone up.  I hear parenting is pretty challenging, and honestly I'm not sure I'm up to that challenge.  Now I know some of the rewards can be amazing...some of the experiences pretty incomparable, but the truth is my husband and I are pretty happy with our own experiences.

So I guess my summary is...let everyone choose their own adventure.  Don't judge them.  There are bonuses and negatives to every life choice.  Having kids can be a unique and amazing experience, but having each other and traveling can also be a unique and amazing experience.  Perhaps the truly unselfish way to live, the best thing we can all do in life is to embrace other's life choices and focus on love instead of labeling.  Whether you have a blooming family of many or a meager family of 2 or 3, be happy with what you've got, where you're at.  If you're truly happy with your life and who you are working on becoming there should never be a need to make waves.  If you find yourself or someone you care about needing to look at other people's life choices and mock or judge them in some misguided effort to bring yourself up, try to get to the root of that feeling.  Ask yourself why you or the person you care about is doing that.  What is the true source of discontent there?  Get to the root of it and from finding that root and awareness, find ways of dealing with that discontentment.  This reminds me of a book I am really wanting to read, You're Never Upset for the Reason You Think http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Never-Upset-Reason-Think/dp/0965137112.  The truth is, people who are truly content with themselves, who they are, and where their lives are going to be happy with and accepting of others.  When we find ourselves discontent and needing to attack, there is something underneath that.  Something we should dig up and deal with to get back to our true bliss.  But that is another blog for another day...



4 comments:

  1. If you didn't state it obviously enough in your blog I feel the same as you do. I believe a lot of people can be selfish also when they do have kids. Our society has been built in such a way where it is a norm to have children. I've heard many reasons for this, like I want our legacy to move forward. Which in itself is unfair cause of the pressure put on the child when it comes to their time to have children.

    In itself I don't think people take parenting as they should. I mean we have had this talk on how discipline should work and how if done improperly you can really hurt the child which will result in future child work needed to get over something that has happened to them when they were a child. Just for an example if the kid draws on the wall, how do you discipline them in this without hindering their exploration of the universe and describing who they are.

    I also think having many children are selfish. At my work for our insurance they came up with a great plan for families...it just hinders the people a bit that do not have families. We all pay a flat monthly rate. So while a family of 6 can rack up medical bills and my spouse and I rarely even go to the doctor (not even enough to meet our deductible), we are paying the same price, oh and that family of 6 will probably end up raising our insurance premiums for next year. Thank you!

    I love the statement of being able to create our own journey. I don't frown on people have children, I actually adore it in many ways. There is also a sense of adoration to the people that put up with the criticism when choosing to not have children. People just need to understand to love all and not worry about someones choices if they don't have any impact on their own lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to add in. Amber and I have not written off children completely. We are both completely honest with each other with the subject and when it is brought up. We may decide to look into children in the next few years...but currently in our lives we are happy with what we have and don't feel the need to complete ourselves with children.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you about your journey being yours to create. I too thought the same way 16 years ago. Having children is something that you can never fully be prepared or ready for. Once it happens everything falls into place instinctively, like dog learning to swim when put into the water. lol Also, children bring extra challenges into your life, that are not so easy sometimes to navigate through. Your life is no longer your own & dreams either have to be put on hold or take the scenic route. You have to be mentally, physically, and mature enough as a couple to be able to deal with this.

    The bottom line is enjoy your life together now. Get use the challenges of being husband & wife. My husband & I were married for 5 years before our son was even thought about. One day when I was shopping I saw a lady with the cuteness little boy I had ever seen, and BOOM...just like that...I wanted one! lol Of course, it had to be boy. lol Up until that very moment my life was complete w/out children. I never wanted any. My life hasn't been the same since.

    Yes, my dreams have been put on hold & right now are moving at a snails pace. Sometimes, it makes me sad, but then I take a look at all that I have been blessed with. Although, I can't lock myself in a room & paint until my fingers fall off. I'm blessed to have the opportunity to be able to paint once I've attended to my family because I don't have an outside job. Life has been good to us and I don't have to work outside of the home. My husband encourages me 110% to live my dream no matter how long it takes. My family comes 1st & then everything else. I love my husband, children, the dog (even when he makes a mess) and wouldn't trade them for anything. 17 years ago I would have scoff at the idea. Now, I smile even with the ups & downs of our lives.

    You'll know when the time is right to grow your family if you so wish to do so. Until, then enjoy life together♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful comments, Shane and Sonya, thank you! Shane, I know we talk about this stuff all the time and I appreciate your comment very much. Nothing to add to your comments as you said it all :D

    Sonya, when I look at your profile picture I always see serenity. You radiate inner peace, contentment, and joy. Without even needing to read the comment above I know just from that one picture that you have 100% made the right decision for you in having children. This isn't the first time I've thought that about your picture, I think it every time I see it. "Wow that woman has 'it' going on, she is truly happy, that is awesome and I'm so grateful to have her as a friend here on Blogspot!" No kidding, I really think that every time I see it.

    Maybe some day Shane and I will feel that tug too, maybe not, who knows? We have an agreement that if one of us feels the tug we have to tell the other lol. I guess what I really appreciate now in my life is being with someone who gives me that choice without judgement. In my past I was very much judged for not wanting to pop out kids and wanting to paint instead. That person acted like my only goal in life as a woman should be to have children and I was defective for not having that craving. I never really and still don't understand this judgement. I guess my message above all else to people is just live your life, make it a beautiful one, and wish others well in their lives, free of judgement. And in my honest opinion Sonya, you have an absolutely beautiful life happening by all accounts.

    ReplyDelete