Friday, October 26, 2012

And It Snowed

So yesterday afternoon and throughout the night, our first snow of the season continued.  Now being somewhat obsessed with the beauty of the white flakes that fall from the sky (well at least until March, when it's so old..) I feel moved to continue blogging today in homage and celebration of all things snow.  I may even have to apologize in advance for the possibility that I might take pictures of every snow storm we have this year and blog about them here.  That is how much I love snow.  Blame it on me living in a place where snow did not exist for close to a decade.  Believe me, you take it for granted until it is never around and then it becomes an obsession, much like (I hear) those who deprive themselves of food often are obsessed with cookbooks.  I love the snow, I revel in snow, here are some quotes about snow!


“Is it snowing where you are? All the world that I see from my tower is draped in white and the flakes are coming down as big as pop-corns. It's late afternoon - the sun is just setting (a cold yellow colour) behind some colder violet hills, and I am up in my window seat using the last light to write to you.”
Jean Webster, Daddy Long Legs


“I love snow for the same reason I love Christmas: It brings people together while time stands still. Cozy couples lazily meandered the streets and children trudged sleds and chased snowballs. No one seemed to be in a rush to experience anything other than the glory of the day, with each other, whenever and however it happened."
Rachel Cohn, Dash & Lily's Book of Dares


“Snow flurries began to fall and they swirled around people's legs like house cats. It was magical, this snow globe world.”
Sarah Addison Allen, The Sugar Queen



“With luck, it might even snow for us.”
Haruki Murakami, After Dark


“Snow falling soundlessly in the middle of the night will always fill my heart with sweet clarity”
Novala Takemoto, Missin' (Novel)


“I love you because no two snowflakes are alike, and it is possible, if you stand tippy-toe, to walk between the raindrops. ”
Nikki Giovanni


“Every Autumn now my thoughts return to snow. Snow is something I identify myself with. Like my father, I am a snow person.”
Charlie English


Snow can be a symbol of transition, of a plateau or place we all hibernate cozily (hopefully with a fireplace and indoors looking out at the snow) before new changes can take place.  It can represent the end of an era before a new beginning.  It is also a symbol of purity, of blocked (frozen) intuition or emotions that can soon melt and be freed.  Snow also represents connection with divinity as the snowflakes fall from the sky to Earth with each flake containing two parts...a nucleus and water vapor attached and falling together from the heavens.

Here is an interesting link about the meaning of snow as it pertains to dreams:  http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art37347.asp

And I hope it returns again soon, the snow, and that everyone will be safe in it....and enjoy every second of it with every fiber of their being(s)!




Sam watching a bird eat while Figaro sleeps next to him as it snowed outside yesterday.  There is something marvelous about being cozy inside with cats watching the snow fall.




More snowy pictures from yesterday




And the snow continued into the night, even more determinedly




The snowy clubhouse and parking lot from our balcony




My recent snowy blue painting with two lovebirds

2 comments:

  1. I ♥looking at it, but don't want to be in it. lol Give me the fall & summer any day of the week. ♥your analogy...never quite thought of snow like that. My thoughts are it's pretty when it falls, but needs to melt QUICKLY once it gets messy. Oh, well we're bracing ourselves right now for another one of mother nature's weather characters...Hurricane Sandy. Her temper is fierce and the eye is heading right for us. The painting is beautiful. Stay warm & safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sonya! I am so happy your comment stayed put this time :D Yeah fall is actually my favorite too but I have a weird fondness for snow (as you probably gathered lol). And I agree...messy snow is the worst. Thinking messy snow in Chicago (where I'm from) at the moment...it's the color of charcoal.

    Thanks for the compliment on the painting. I'm wishing you all the best with Hurricane Sandy and may you and your family be warm and safe also! You'll be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete