Thursday, October 25, 2012

Snowy Thursday Ponderings



It snowed today! And of course it is already melting. But it's the first, official, glorious hint of snow we have had so far this season. I managed to capture a picture or two of the remaining snow before the sun melted it all into liquidy goodness this morning. It was kind of a heavenly gloomy experience looking out through the blinds into the gray morning and seeing the fluffy snowflakes falling again like a long lost friend.


Speaking of friends, my friend Angela K., a fellow artist, found this quote that I fell in love with today and had to share in my blog:


"Artists are some of the most driven courageous people on the face of the earth. They deal with more day-to-day rejection than most people do in a lifetime. Everyday, artists face the financial challenge of living a freelance lifestyle, the disrespect of people who think they should get real jobs, and their own fear that they'll never work again. Everyday, they have to ignore the possibility that the vision they have dedicated their lives to is a pipe dream. With every role, they stretch themselves, emotionally and physically, risking criticism and judgement. With every passing year, many of them watch as the other people their age achieve the predictable milestones of normal life - the car, the family, the house, the nest egg. Why? Because artists are willing to give their entire lives to a moment - to that line, that laugh, that gesture, or that interpretation that will stir the audience's soul. Artists are beings who have tasted life's nectar in that crystal moment when they poured out their creative spirit and touched another's heart. In that instant, they were as close to magic, God, and perfection as anyone could ever be. And in their own hearts, they know that to dedicate oneself to that moment is worth a thousand lifetimes."

By: David Ackert



I agree with every word of it. It is all true. And I could not have said it better myself.


On another note, I was recently attempting to watch A Course in Miracles, the Movie...twice. At times I find the perspectives a bit difficult to wrap my own perception of reality around. I do see how some of them are useful in life though...very useful actually. My favorite quote from the movie is about forgiveness. It talks about how people hold onto resentment toward another person and choose not to forgive them, thinking this somehow hurts the person they are choosing not to forgive:


"Not forgiving someone is like setting yourself on fire and hoping the other person dies of smoke inhalation."
LOL, this is so true. This quote is just awesome. Don't hold grudges people, you're only hurting yourselves. The person you are angry at isn't sitting there feeling your every resentful stab just because you are thinking it. I guarantee they are probably doing yoga, or sculpting something or perhaps even contemplating the meaning of life. The only one you are harming with your inner venom is yourself. When you find yourself thinking an angry thought why not go for a jog instead? Certainly we could all afford to lose a few and live more healthfully in this day and age. Don't just sit there stewing or plotting some likely unfulfilling revenge.. Forgive them and take your life back, take your happiness in living and existing back. Forgive, move forward with your lives, and prosper!


And lastly here are some randomized quotes I found today that made me either think, feel, or feel some type of something or other. Since I am a quotaholic.


"Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power." -Henry George (1839 - 1897)


I love this quote. It reminds me of that common feeling we each have on occasion that we are only one person and what can we possibly accomplish in the world. Honestly? We can each accomplish a lot in the world with the power of one. With the ripple effect and concept of paying it forward, we can change the world and make it much better even as an 'army' of one. This quote empowers me...empowers me to be more self aware of my actions and thoughts and why I do or think them.


It empowers me to remember that no matter what my circumstances have been, are, or will be I can always choose to be kind, even in the face of unkindness. I can share that kindness with others and remind them that kindness exists and is always present. And people, when shown kindness tend to show it to others in turn. I can choose love over hate, to create something beautiful and inspiring instead of something that tears others down, I can choose to embrace who I really am and love that person no matter what anyone else's opinion may happen to be. The truth is, what others think is none of our business. And honestly in my experience, worrying about such trivial concerns is pretty unproductive in general. So essentially what this quote means to me in a nutshell is...go forward, embrace each day, think for yourself, and influence the world in your own unique way whether it be a gentle whisper or a lion's roar. Realize your power as an individual.


"Fear not that thy life shall come to an end, but rather fear that it shall never have a beginning." -John Henry Cardinal Newman (1801 - 1890)


Sieze the day, Carpe Diem, follow that voice inside that pulls you to do something, follow your enthusiasm. Make every moment precious and celebrate it. Inspire others and in doing that find your own inspiration for being. Fear not death, but living without truly being alive.


And with that I will close, leaving you with some pictures of stuff and things that somehow relate to my recent life. Have a beautiful, prosperous day!







My new orchid plant that I opted to get instead of another Halloween costume I will wear once a year








First snow of the season with lightly dusted car and roofs







My new snowstorm painting! 

4 comments:

  1. Yay snow! I love snow. On the artist quote that I adore...it's a great one. I wish everyone can have the joy and feeling of buying an original piece of art. This art is loved...not shipped in bulk smashed together to be thrown around. I see how much love, care, and energy being put into your art and I can't wait for many people buying it up to hang in their homes :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, love. Yeah snow is snowlicious! I sure missed it living near the border for 10+ years lol. Original art is incomparable to prints or repos imo. It has that special something that one can only get from owning something hand created. I love the artist's quote because our society could use a little help seeing there is more than one way to live. A lot of us obsess over the idea that we should be shackled to a cubicle from 9 to 5, letting the fluorescent lights drain the life out of us, drain our souls. There are other ways to live, people. There is a way to live with passion, joy, commitment to something you love that in no way involves a cubicle or fluorescent lights. Maybe it's time we stop disrespecting individuals that live this way and start honoring them for following their dream. Time we stop fostering a sick society and start healing it by fostering new, creative, balanced, and healthy ways to live. Let's not tell someone to 'get a real job' without looking at the fact that perhaps they already have one...doing something they love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *repros (meaning reproductions). Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I should mention here also, while I'm thinking about it...a lot of entrepreneurs actually work longer hours than the rest of the world. There is no time off for us, as we often work late into most nights. Weekends are not sacred, as we often work during most of those too. There is a running joke of "which 70 hours would you like to work this week?" for people starting their own business. This is not to condone workaholic syndrome in the slightest, as I believe in a balanced life. But especially in the early years of establishing a business doing what you love, a lot of work is involved. So let's also remember that when we think of those who pursue their passions. They are not just sitting around watching t.v. lol.

    ReplyDelete